background

Thursday, September 20, 2012

More Retreat Photos

I am back to show you a few more photos from my retreat.  The challenge for the camp was to make something using doilies. I'm afraid I cut out mine (a bag with doilies on the pockets) but I just ran out of time to stitch it.  Below are some of the items that were entered and received a prize. The doll with the umbrella was judged first. My favourite was the tablecloth but they were all beautiful and it just goes to show what can be done with old doilies.




After dinner on Saturday night we were given another challenge. We were put into groups of three, asked to choose some fabric from a pile and make as many Breast bags as we could in 90 minutes. These bags are distributed to hospitals and given to women who have had a mastectomy and are sent home with drains  in situ for up to 3 months. These bags enable the drain bottles to be carried around inconspicuously.  In all, the groups  made over 45 bags on the night. The pattern for these bags can be found on the net.


Show and Tell was on Sunday morning.  I took lots of photos but I will only show a few.  The first one is the quilt top I put together on the camp.  I have had the stitcheries done for quite a while so it is nice to finally see it in one piece. I am going to scallop the border so can't wait to get that done. Sorry it is not a great photo but the stitchery is very cute. A Birdhouse design. 


Above and below is the same quilt. Amazing  how different it looks in the black, red and white. 


The above quilt is a Mystery Quilt that the Lismore quilters did for the retreat.  I managed to get the pattern from Marilyn (on the right) who organized it.   No curved pieces in this, just the way the blocks are put together.




Just a few more.
Made using a jelly roll including the pieced flowers

Above made using a layer cake and below another jelly roll quilt



Well I think I have given you a photo overload again. Till next time........ Happy Stitching........









4 comments:

  1. Love your Birdhouse quilt - what a great idea to get everyone sewing those bags - its amazing what we can get done in a short time if we just get on with it. It looks like a really good light & airy room for sewing in too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved all the quilts and what a great use for doyleys
    Sounds like you had a great time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't LoVe eye candy! Thanks for sharing. See you tonight at FNSI! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many gorgeous quilts! Very talented bunch of ladies. What a great challenge to make the bags as well - great idea. Love all the lace doily ideas x

    ReplyDelete